POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Glowing Space Explosion : Re: Glowing Space Explosion Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:34:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glowing Space Explosion
From: Jerry
Date: 8 Sep 2000 12:10:34
Message: <jerry-D740FD.09103408092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39b811a8@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:
>I consider it bugs indeed. I think I was one of the first to complain
>about the strange way the normals worked. When scaling objects, the
>normals changed. For example, in the scenes where I used Blob_Man I
>had to scale my whole scene to fit Blob_Man rather than just scaling
>Blob_Man, because if I scaled Blob_Man his skin and clothed looked all
>wrong. That's very annoying, very unintuitive, and very inconsistent,
>and therefore I consider it a bug.

The notion that normals should scale along with the objects they are
applied to is very intuitive. If there is a 1-unit bump on a 4-unit
plane, and the plane is doubled, the bump should now be 2 units. That
wasn't the bug. The bug was that POV sometimes scaled the normal and
sometimes didn't.

The bug-fix included (after some wrangling with Nathan, as I recall :*)
the feature of turning normal scaling off, which I am sure is a useful
feature for some. But that scaling included normals was not a bug; the
bug was inconsistency in scaling with normals. (For a longer discussion
of this, see the original postings on this server.)

Jerry