POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV 3.5 Won't open Unix files? : Re: POV 3.5 Won't open Unix files? Server Time
18 May 2024 05:35:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.5 Won't open Unix files?
From: Jerry
Date: 15 Jul 2002 14:36:09
Message: <jerry-507F72.11360915072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d2fdf38@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>POV-Ray opens files with all line-endings.  I do not know what the problem
>with you file could be.

Thanks; I'll take a closer look at it then.

Preliminary testing:

Created a file called "test2.pov" using vi on the command line.

This file will not drag to POV-Ray 3.5 on the finder or on the dock.
This makes some sense if you've chosen only to accept TEXT files for
drag and drop, however given that pov files come from many sources, and
given OS X's Unix underpinnings, it may make more sense to accept any
file--or at least any file ending with .pov.

If I go into POV-Ray 3.5 and "File:Open...", the file "test2.pov" shows
up in the file picker but is greyed out and cannot be chosen.

If I switch from "All Readable Documents" to "All Documents",
"test2.pov" stays greyed out but can now be chosen. However, on pressing
the "Open" button, no window is opened for that file in POV-Ray 3.5.

No error messages show up in the "Messages" window (or anywhere else
that I can see).

If I create a new file from within POV-Ray 3.5, and give it one line:

#include "test2.pov"

and then save it (as "test3.pov") in the same directory as test2.pov, it
then renders test2.pov successfully.

If I use a Unix command-line utility to convert the line endings in
test2.pov to Mac line endings and write it to test4.pov, POV-Ray 3.5
will still not open the file test4.pov; it acts as above.

If I use FileType to give the Unix-line file (test2.pov) the File Type
TEXT (leaving the Creator alone), I can open the file by switching the
File Picker from "All Readable Documents" to "All Documents".

If I use FileType to switch that file from File Type TEXT to GIYH, POV
will once again refuse to open the file in the manner described above.

So it appears that POV-Ray 3.5 is refusing to open files that are not
specifically listed as TEXT, which will be most files acquired from
non-Mac sources.

I am using Mac OS X 10.1.5 and POV-Ray 3.5 Build 0170.

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've