POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Just some thoughts (modelling related, sort of...) : Re: Just some thoughts (modelling related, sort of...) Server Time
27 Apr 2024 00:44:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just some thoughts (modelling related, sort of...)
From: Jerry
Date: 26 Sep 2003 14:56:14
Message: <jerry-33E2BE.11561326092003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f740bc2$1@news.povray.org>,
 Markus Altendorff <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote:
>*today*, all things "medieval" are 500+ years old and were mostly
>neglected through the last 100+ years. Even better example: roman
>/greek ruins.
>i *don't* make it look "old", it's somehow "unfitting" - or is
>this just me? I mean, it's hard to imagine that blacksmiths 500

No, it isn't just you. Go look at about any greek-style bank facade. How
many of them are painted in bright purples and other bright colors? :*)

>years ago were told: "Make a horseshoe, but make it rusty and
>dented." ;-)

No, but they did make it long-lasting. A horseshoe is going to become
rusty and dented pretty quickly, I think.

In many cases, things in that much older times will look older than you
might expect today, because they've been around for a while. It can
still be the case in rural areas. I was back at the parents several
weeks ago. My brother's crowbar is rusty and dented. It was given him by
my father, who got it from his father. I remember using it back when I
was a kid; they still use it, it works fine. I think that attitude was
even more common 500 years ago.

Jerry
--
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've
depleted the lake."--It Isn't Murder If They're Yankees