POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : pov files from mac to pc : Re: pov files from mac to pc Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:00:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov files from mac to pc
From: Jerry
Date: 24 May 1999 19:55:47
Message: <jerry-2405991555490001@cerebus.acusd.edu>
In article <3749B107.95B09FF3@compuserve.com>, 101### [at] compuservecom wrote:

>I use a pc.
>A friend of mine uses Pov on a Mac, and there are problems with
>the .pov files he send me; they come de-formatted, with strange
>symbols.  I had the seemingly same problem with Chris Huff's
>macro utils (and it looks as I'm not the only one).
>
>1) how should he/we do to transfer pov files right ?
>
>2) he seems to say that the pov files on a mac retain information
>such as resolution, render settings... How does it work ?

This information is stored as "resources" in the Mac file. Mac files can
have two different "forks", a data fork (which is where the POV scene file
will be) and the resource fork, which contains information about the file
and resources to use with it (fonts can be transferred inside a documents
resource fork, for example, although this is rarely used).

If the files are being sent to you as text files, you shouldn't be having
any trouble; it may be that your friend's e-mail software doesn't know
that POV files are text files, or is being told not to send text files as
text files (this would be useful if, for example, you used a Macintosh and
wanted the resources intact).

In Eudora Light, the setting is under the "Settings" menu item, "Always
Send Macintosh Information". Turn that off, and it will not send Macintosh
information for text files.

Jerry