POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : why is mosaic preview required for radiosity? : Re: why is mosaic preview required for radiosity? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: why is mosaic preview required for radiosity?
From: Jerry
Date: 1 Oct 1999 12:50:49
Message: <jerry-0110990950450001@cerebus.acusd.edu>
In article <37f4b0b2@news.povray.org>, "Robert Dawson"
<Rob### [at] stmarysca> wrote:
>    (b) an "ETR" (Estimated Time of Render) computed from the mosaic
>preview. This could even be an interval estimate, based on the amount of
>variation found so far [preferably nonparametric, as the distribution can be
>very skewed.] A  trickier process would be accounting for anti-aliasing...
>that would mean doing a small amount of AA at the specified setting ahead of
>time, separate from the . One might want that to be separately switchable,
>or assume that anybody using AA is up for a bit of a waitand won't mind an
>extra ten seconds to get their forecast.

I've found that pre-rendering an extremely tiny version gives a quite
accurate estimate of the time to trace the large version; when doing a
really long render, I'll usually render a 32x24 pixel version first, and
multiply the trace time by, say, 625 to estimate the amount of time the
800x600 version will take.

Jerry