POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : World on a Donut : Re: World on a Donut Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World on a Donut
From: Richard Callwood III
Date: 2 Mar 2004 18:01:14
Message: <jc3a4059ejvid1tl5f4756ec8414d8vbac@4ax.com>
On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:20:21 -0500, Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] ml1net> wrote:

Not that it matters, as far as artistic license is concerned, but...

>I'm stoked about how it came out. With more time it can definatly be
>improved, and there are a few glaring omissions (Starfield..., real
>atmosphere.),

Your "glaring" omissions are glaring only for us Earthbound creatures
grown up on Hollywood special effects.  Stars are so faint compared to
a sunlit planet as to be practically invisible (have you noticed that
few stars are visible in photographs from the Moon or the space
shuttles?)  And the visible atmosphere of a planet is so thin (in the
case of Earth, less than 1% of its radius) that you need to be in
really low orbit to see it.

Again, though, it's up to how much artistic license you desire.
Hollywood special effects are so cool.

--
~  U.S. Virgin Islands    ~  USDA zone 11  ~  18.3N, 64.9W  ~