POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Bluebird V Server Time
17 May 2024 07:53:02 EDT (-0400)
  Old Technology...Bluebird V (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Renderdog
Subject: Old Technology...Bluebird V
Date: 21 Apr 2003 10:50:12
Message: <web.3ea4039d2e3b3130f58667690@news.povray.org>
Some great work here, especially the background. The pier, waves and sand
are all perfect, and anyone who's been to Daytona would recognize the tire
tracks in the sand as very accurate, a nice touch.

The aged photo look is very well done, and important to stress the old
technology aspect of the image, as many people wouldn't recognize just
how old the Bluebird is. It was a lot of work to create the sepia colors
within the rules of the IRTC, and it was nice to read the description of
the process and see the color images. Personally I think the rule is
very limiting and would be glad to see it go, but I think I'm probably
in the minority there.

I feel the Bluebird itself could have used a few more details, or some
additional textures that might make it look more real, to place it in
the setting more solidly. One comment complained that the vehicle wasn't
to scale, but it looks good to me.

Post a reply to this message

>Some great work here, especially the background. The pier, waves and sand
>are all perfect, and anyone who's been to Daytona would recognize the tire
>tracks in the sand as very accurate, a nice touch.
>
>The aged photo look is very well done, and important to stress the old
>technology aspect of the image, as many people wouldn't recognize just
>how old the Bluebird is. It was a lot of work to create the sepia colors
>within the rules of the IRTC, and it was nice to read the description of
>the process and see the color images. Personally I think the rule is
>very limiting and would be glad to see it go, but I think I'm probably
>in the minority there.

I for one wasn't convinced by the sepia tint.  To me it looked like a
full-colour world where everything happened to be coloured in shades of
brown.  I appreciate the effort that went into the effect, but it just
doesn't work for me.  Specifically what I find stands out is the greys in
the shadows.  In a real sepia tone photo these areas would receive a brown
wash.  I would have preferred leaving it in colour, or in greyscale if I
really wanted to achieve an antique photo look.  The grain and black
smudges look good however, like an old print that was improperly stored in
a stack of old photos.

>I feel the Bluebird itself could have used a few more details, or some
>additional textures that might make it look more real, to place it in
>the setting more solidly. One comment complained that the vehicle wasn't
>to scale, but it looks good to me.

I was the one who thought the car was out of scale and on second thought I'm
going to have to take that comment back.  The car seemed far too big to me
compared to the size of the driver but after reading the text file again I
see that the car was indeed that huge, I missed that bit of information the
first time, not to mention that I'm more familiar with the metric system
and the artist gave the dimensions in feet.  This brings up another point
though, the readme file is too long.  It is easily double the length of the
next longest text file and most of the techniques explained were pretty
standard fare.  The artist should have edited it down to focus on the
special features of the image, such as the sepia tint and perhaps the
heightfield waves, and if he felt that further explanations were in order
then he should have created a "making of" web page and included a link to
that.  There were 84 other images to look at, after all.

Not to sound too negative and end on a positive note, I must say I like the
use of a heightfield to model the surf.  That was quite clever and the
results are good.  I also like the reflective surface on the sand at the
shoreline.  I bet the tide had just gone out, perfect for skimboarding!

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:55:28 EDT, "Copper Pin"
<Cop### [at] hotmailcom> said:

>This brings up another point
>though, the readme file is too long.  It is easily double the length of the
>next longest text file and most of the techniques explained were pretty
>standard fare.  The artist should have edited it down to focus on the
>special features of the image, such as the sepia tint and perhaps the
>heightfield waves, and if he felt that further explanations were in order
>then he should have created a "making of" web page and included a link to
>that.  There were 84 other images to look at, after all.

I thought it was better to be too verbose than not enough.  "Making
of" web pages are a good idea, but the web is an ephemeral thing.  One
of my pet peeves are tantalizing messages that say everything you want
to know is at some web site, only to find the link is dead.

>Not to sound too negative and end on a positive note, I must say I like the
>use of a heightfield to model the surf.  That was quite clever and the
>results are good.  I also like the reflective surface on the sand at the
>shoreline.  I bet the tide had just gone out, perfect for skimboarding!

Actually, the tide had just gone out.  I was curious about the height
of the tide so I did some investigating and figured that the runs must
have been timed to coincide with low tide.  Based on the angle of the
shadows in my reference photos, I estimated the runs to have taken
place around 2 in the afternoon.  I couldn't find tidal records that
went back that far, but I was able to determine the time of the
moonrise that day.  Comparing it to current tide charts, low tide
would have been around 2 pm that day.  There also happened to be a new
moon a couple of days before so not only was it low tide, but also the
most extreme lowest tide possible.

---
Jet Jaguar
Visit my crappy home page at http://home.att.net/~chmilnir/