POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...River Mill Server Time
17 May 2024 04:42:16 EDT (-0400)
  Old Technology...River Mill (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Renderdog
Subject: Old Technology...River Mill
Date: 11 Apr 2003 11:00:13
Message: <web.3e96d774a1e868c87ba9929f0@news.povray.org>
This beautiful, colorful image would look great framed on a wall, and it won
Honorable Mention for Artistic Merit. The image also shows a lot of hard
work, by an experienced POV-er who knows his stuff, and I think it would
have rated higher overall but for its subject; there were several mills
this round.

Though it looks washed out to me, I see this type of lighting in a lot of cg
images, and it may be an esthetic choice. It's interesting how people use
the same tool and get such different results, though I see in the text file
that it was created in the style of Dutch painter Vermeer, so that may
explain the look and lighting.

The sky is beautiful and dramatic, and the ruins and hills in the distance
also look great. The stone and rooftiles show a lot of layered textures
that give the surfaces some age, though the main tower could use some more
variation where it cuts into the mill's roof.

The entire image has a speckeled, pixely look that's difficult to pin down
(or even find actual words for). I'm not sure if this is due to the
anti-aliasing or some other technique. For me, it makes the image a bit
"noisy" to look at, as if it has a high jitter setting.

Post a reply to this message