POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...River Mill : Re: Old Technology...River Mill Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:38:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...River Mill
From: gonzo
Date: 12 Apr 2003 19:02:20
Message: <3e989afc@news.povray.org>
no13 <pov### [at] no13net> wrote in message

> >Though it looks washed out to me, I see this type of lighting in a lot of
cg
> >images, and it may be an esthetic choice. It's interesting how people use
> >the same tool and get such different results, though I see in the text
file
> >that it was created in the style of Dutch painter Vermeer, so that may
> >explain the look and lighting.
> >

> Yes. I had, and I'm still having, a lot of trouble coming up with a
lighting
> system for outdoor scenes. This is a problem in all my POV work at the
> moment. I've never been satisfied with using a simple lighting schemes.
> Much of the effect you've mentioned is the result of the interaction of
the
> various light sources and the radiosity settings.

A very nice image. I was particularly impressed with the rocks & waterplants
in the foreground.

What did you use for your primary light source (sun)?

I  think what most outdoor scenes seem to lack  is contrast. The sun is
BRIGHT.  It makes DARK shadows.  In photography, this is a problem to
correct with fill lighting.  For raytracers, its the opposite problem;  how
to get that kind of brightness without overpowering the scene.

>I made several experiments with atmospheric media, multiple fog layers,
>lightsources, sky_spheres and radiosity without any satisfactory results.
>I'm still experimenting and hope to have an improved lighting system for
>the next round of the IRTC.

I've been playing with different ways to do sunlight. I'll be interested in
whatever you come up with!

RG