POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...The Right Stuff Server Time
17 May 2024 05:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Old Technology...The Right Stuff (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Renderdog
Subject: Old Technology...The Right Stuff
Date: 3 Apr 2003 09:35:06
Message: <web.3e8c4574a28f2bac7ba9929f0@news.povray.org>
Shocked, shocked I am this image didn't rank higher in the voting! This was
one of my top picks, with a great concept and execution, and a fun image to
boot.

The image is a bit grainy, but it captured the underwater "atmosphere" well,
and the posing of the characters is excellent. The bubbles are also
excellent.

The image might benefit from the architectural field camera perspective, as
the outside characters are leaning in a bit, but I don't think it would
make a big difference.

Jeremy also included a puzzle, asking which of the suits was badly
engineered. I guessed Mr. Carmagnolle, the guy on the left. All that
armour...

Post a reply to this message

>Shocked, shocked I am this image didn't rank higher in the voting! This was
>one of my top picks, with a great concept and execution, and a fun image to
>boot.

As a diver myself, I liked this one too.

>The image is a bit grainy, but it captured the underwater "atmosphere" well,
>and the posing of the characters is excellent. The bubbles are also
>excellent.

Yep.

>The image might benefit from the architectural field camera perspective, as
>the outside characters are leaning in a bit, but I don't think it would
>make a big difference.

I hadn't attributed that to the camera :)  I thought he was just making them
a closeknit group of buddies!

>Jeremy also included a puzzle, asking which of the suits was badly
>engineered. I guessed Mr. Carmagnolle, the guy on the left. All that
>armour...

<venturing wildly into non POV territory ;-)>
Hmmmm, the Carmagnolle suit was never actually produced, although tests of
the design showed it to work down to a depth of at least a few meters. The
problems with it weren't in getting up and down, they were more in the fact
that the joints didn't handle pressure well, the diver became immobile at
depth.

I'd say the problem suit is Frank's on the right. Being made of an
inherently buoyant material, plus being filled with air, it would require a
lot of weight to sink. With no way to control buoyancy it would go straight
to the bottom with no way back except to dump the weight, at which point
the barrel would rise very quickly, either leaving the diver on the bottom
or risking severe damage from too rapid decompression.  Not good for depth
of more than 10-15 ft max.

RG - I'll stick to my Scuba-Pro & Dive-Rite gear, thanks...

Post a reply to this message