POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Position so far. Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:48:48 EDT (-0400)
  Position so far. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: St
Subject: Position so far.
Date: 12 Sep 2007 07:52:28
Message: <46e7d2fc$1@news.povray.org>
Ok guys, I thought I'd better start a new thread.

   Below is the way that Colin thinks the new format should work. I'll list
it, and then I'll add my own comments below the list.

--------------------------
 Please confirm the following scenario for the next November - January
competition:

 - 17th October : New topic available for members
 - 1st November : New uploads allowed
 - 17th December : End of uploads disallowed
 - 18th December : Scoring/rating allowed
 - 31st December : Competition ends
-------------------------

 - 17th October : New topic available for members

     I personally have no problem with knowing the challenge two weeks in
advance. I don't know how you guys work with your images/animations, but I
would like to think that you probably sit and ponder, research, and
experiment for a while as I do. Doing it this way, I certainly don't think
that it would interfere with your present project as more than anything, you
would more than likely be 'cleaning up' your image/animation as I do. Views
on this please.

- 1st November : New uploads allowed

    Ok, that's clear.

- 17th December : End of uploads disallowed

   What Colin omitted here is that the new topic challenge for
January/February would also be published.

- 18th December : Scoring/rating allowed

   Ok.

- 31st December : Competition ends

   Competition ends, and winners announced with fairer scoring and full
comments shown. I'm ok with this.

   Other news.

    At the moment, I have partial admin rights to be able to edit the HTML
side of things without disrupting the script side. ;) This is good, because
it means I can give you NEWS and stuff on the front page, (and add links!
Woohoo!)

    Stephen, Markus, Thomas, I've asked Colin if non-participants (but
registered) members can vote and comment, but as yet, he hasn't answered
this. Although, it's my understanding that this has always been implemented
from the word go. I'll get back to you on this.

   Stephen, I'm not sure if you send me your votes and comments via email,
whether I'd be able to implement them or not yet, (or at all). If I can,
then yes, please wait until I know more. Ah! Thinking about it, I can, but
not quite yet. When I get to be able to edit the front page, I can add a
link to a table (that I'll produce manually) with your new votes and
comments! Ok, now we're kicking! Wait for me to get back to you on this. :)

    Sound good so far?

     ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

>  Ok guys, I thought I'd better start a new thread.
>
>    Below is the way that Colin thinks the new format should work. I'll list
> it, and then I'll add my own comments below the list.
>
> --------------------------
>  Please confirm the following scenario for the next November - January
> competition:
>
>  - 17th October : New topic available for members
>  - 1st November : New uploads allowed
>  - 17th December : End of uploads disallowed
>  - 18th December : Scoring/rating allowed
>  - 31st December : Competition ends
> -------------------------

This should work - you did notice this seems to be
effectively just a case of "shifting the timeframe back by
two weeks"? ;)

I mean:
Time to work on it: 10/17th - 12/17th = two months.
Time to vote: 12/17th - 12/31st = two weeks.

For the entrants, the competition doesn't end on 31st - it
ends on the 17th when the uploads are halted.

It's the same as the IRTC timeframes, except there it was
15th instead of 17th. :)

I'm fine with that.

-Markus

Post a reply to this message

"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote in message

>> --------------------------
>>  Please confirm the following scenario for the next November - January
>> competition:
>>
>>  - 17th October : New topic available for members
>>  - 1st November : New uploads allowed
>>  - 17th December : End of uploads disallowed
>>  - 18th December : Scoring/rating allowed
>>  - 31st December : Competition ends
>> -------------------------
>
> This should work - you did notice this seems to be effectively just a case
> of "shifting the timeframe back by two weeks"? ;)

     Yes, I did. ;)  There must be some inherent coders' problem with doing
it the other way around, because believe me, if Colin could, he would.

> I mean:
> Time to work on it: 10/17th - 12/17th = two months.
> Time to vote: 12/17th - 12/31st = two weeks.
>
> For the entrants, the competition doesn't end on 31st - it ends on the
> 17th when the uploads are halted.

    But, it's still two months. Basically, it's just a matter of getting
used to it. As I said, I have no problem with this system because if
everyone works like me, (and I'm sure they do), then not a lot of work is
done in those first two weeks anyway. Yes, experimenting, a little modelling
here and there, checking what type of lights you might need or want, setting
up a story-line, etc., goes on, I'm sure. But this need not hinder your
present project, and in some cases it may even help your present project
because you may discover that a different lighting set-up is better than the
one you presently have for example.

   And then, when you have uploaded your work, you have all the time in the
world to comment and vote on ALL images and animations, producing a much
fairer result.

> It's the same as the IRTC timeframes, except there it was 15th instead of
> 17th. :)
>
> I'm fine with that.

     Thank you Markus. :)

       ~Steve~