POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Minimum Entry Requirements Server Time
14 Jun 2024 13:06:12 EDT (-0400)
  Minimum Entry Requirements (Message 31 to 40 of 56)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Minimum Entry Requirements
Date: 17 Jun 2009 08:28:14
Message: <4a38e15e@news.povray.org>

message de news: 4a389314$1@news.povray.org...
> Likewise, using a program like Moray to model a scene and export it to POV
> is OK; positioning figures in Poser and exporting them to your favorite
> raytracer is OK; rendering a scene using the scanline renderer in Blender
> is not.

The problem with the "raytracing" part is that the days of scanline vs
raytracing are long gone now. Modern renderers use and combine a wide array
of rendering techniques and even post-processing is sometimes built in the
rendering interface. For the end user, knowing what algorithm is actually
used may be fuzzy, particularly for commercial renderers. Raytracing is a
*** historical *** rendering method, that is still relevant in certain areas
(real-time rendering) but no longer prominent in production or even amateur
environment, at least as a stand-alone technology. Restricting the rendering
method to "raytracing" seems a step backward, unless the IRTC is meant to be
some sort of "good ole times" competition, just like there are vintage car
shows ;)

This is really the heart of the problem here. The IRTC was created at a time
where the most promising, best-looking rendering technology (raytracing) had
become affordable for amateurs so it was all kinds of exciting. But now this
makes really little sense outside the POV-Ray community, since the other
rendering engines (including some POV-Ray patches!) have gone far beyond
raytracing, and amateur 3D artists and coders have much more tools to play
with.

G.

Post a reply to this message