POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : The Rules Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  The Rules (Message 49 to 58 of 58)
From: Hildur K
Subject: Re: The Rules
Date: 18 Jun 2009 10:30:00
Message: <web.4a3a4eed2f2043cd421830f90@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:

> What me falling over backwards? ;)

you falling backward AND the stars WITH motion blur...

you have been around the world quite a bit, oil platform and down under.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jun 2009 11:30:00
Message: <web.4a3a5d1c2f2043cd5fd99d9e0@news.povray.org>
"Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> wrote:
> "Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
>
> > What me falling over backwards? ;)
>
> you falling backward AND the stars WITH motion blur...
>
> you have been around the world quite a bit, oil platform and down under.

Since you mention it, since 1996 when I started working in SAP I have worked in
eleven countries and visited a further six for work.

Down under was a good experience but their moon is upside down and it makes you
dizzy. I would like to visit Iceland too.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:

> Down under was a good experience but their moon is upside down and it makes you
> dizzy. I would like to visit Iceland too.

They got their own moon? ;-)

Hildur

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:29:21 EDT, "Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net>
wrote:

>"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
>

>> Down under was a good experience but their moon is upside down and it makes you
>> dizzy. I would like to visit Iceland too.
>
>They got their own moon? ;-)

Yes don't you?

It will need to be during summer, I've done enough "cold" to last me a lifetime.
:)
Yes I know, Iceland is green land and Greenland is ice land.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 19 Jun 2009 13:45:01
Message: <web.4a3bcdc22f2043cd7080f32a0@news.povray.org>
"Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> wrote:
> > Down under was a good experience but their moon is upside down and it makes you
> > dizzy. I would like to visit Iceland too.
>
> They got their own moon? ;-)

http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/imagenewdisplay/stills/index105.html

(One Ring to rule them all, one Ring to guide them...)

:D

Post a reply to this message

From: Hildur K
Date: 19 Jun 2009 16:35:00
Message: <web.4a3bf5522f2043cd421830f90@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> wrote:

> > They got their own moon? ;-)
>
> http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/imagenewdisplay/stills/index105.html

This is a great image! :-)

> (One Ring to rule them all, one Ring to guide them...)
>
> :D

Well it took me a while and some web browsing. At first glance I guessed this to
be the language they speak in Greenland. I was wrong, obviously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durbatuluk

sleep. Something very wrong with my brain I guess.

Hildur

(not Isildur, wonder where he got that one from... because if I pretend this
name to be in a nordic language, it would mean Icefire, maybe he knew what he
was doing or maybe he was just trying to invent weird sounding names?)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 19 Jun 2009 21:00:00
Message: <web.4a3c33ac2f2043cd7080f32a0@news.povray.org>
"Hildur K." <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> sleep. Something very wrong with my brain I guess.

That's okay. We all have some things we seem to be expected to like, but for
some obscure reason don't.

> Hildur
>
> (not Isildur, wonder where he got that one from... because if I pretend this
> name to be in a nordic language, it would mean Icefire, maybe he knew what he
> was doing or maybe he was just trying to invent weird sounding names?)

Him having been a linguistics professor, for ancient Germanic languages he
probably did know quite well what he was doing ;)

And no, he didn't intend to invent weird sounding names - he intended to invent
whole weird sounding languages :) - and he did; not just words, but complete
grammar and all; and not just one, but a multitude of them.

Old Norse seems to have been an occasional source for Tolkien, but his favorites
are said to have been Finnish or Welsh. Old English, his area of professional
expertise, would be a good bet as well. But expect the origins of his words not
to be all too obvious - he really did a good job. Some say that he did the whole
Middle-Earth thing just as a tool to develop his languages.

BTW, "Isildur" is said to mean "devoted to the moon" in the fictional Numenoran
language.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Jun 2009 03:39:57
Message: <4a3c924d$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
> "Hildur K." <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>> Tolkien.

>> them,

>> me
>> sleep. Something very wrong with my brain I guess.
>
> That's okay. We all have some things we seem to be expected to like, but
> for
> some obscure reason don't.

And it is the prerogative of every intelligent person.

> [...] Some say that he did the whole Middle-Earth thing just as a tool to
> develop his languages.

Yes indeed, and he certainly pretended that also to himself. In 'The History
of Middle Earth' it is shown nicely how both are intimately inter-connected.
Still, I think the stories came first, very early in his life, at least when
he was on the battlefields of Flanders (guess where Mordor took its source?)
and his profound linguistic knowledge helped took over for important parts
of the creation.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Jun 2009 03:42:59
Message: <4a3c9303$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> schreef in bericht
> ....helped took over ....

?? I should learn to use the <delete> key  :-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 20 Jun 2009 12:10:01
Message: <web.4a3d09802f2043cd1d5d3f0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Yes indeed, and he certainly pretended that also to himself. In 'The History
> of Middle Earth' it is shown nicely how both are intimately inter-connected.
> Still, I think the stories came first, very early in his life, at least when
> he was on the battlefields of Flanders (guess where Mordor took its source?)
> and his profound linguistic knowledge helped took over for important parts
> of the creation.

I guess it is this intimate intermix (including his real-life experiences) that
makes both his storytelling and languages so rich and outstanding.