POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Voting thoughts Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:35:16 EDT (-0400)
  Voting thoughts (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: Voting thoughts
Date: 4 Jan 2000 07:12:44
Message: <3871e3bc@news.povray.org>
Well, just had my first go at voting (gardens) and here, for what they are
worth, are my thoughts about voting in general.

Technical - I didn't vote on technical, since I only really know POV. I just
gave everyone 10.

It would have been nice to be able to give a neutral vote (ie. "N" meaning
"I give this the average score for this particular image" - essentially
saying that you trust the judgement of other voters) so that I could have
given a technical score to the pov pictures. I don't know enough about stats
to know if this would work.

Alternatively, does anyone have any general info on the different packages
that could be assembled on a web site to help guide voters? I don't mind
doing the page if people send me anything useful.

Artistic - as well as letting my own aethetic judgment have an influence on
the score, I also tried to consider how well the artist had met their own
intentions.

Concept - low scores for off-topic, higher scores for an interesting use of
the topic, or for an ambitious scene.

General - I didn't read the text until after I'd voted, since IMHO it should
be irrelevant. Only once did reading the text change my vote, and in this
instance by bringing it down (I won't say which pic). I didn't penalise for
pics that looked 2D, etc, as long as this was appropriate to the subject or
tone of the pic - indeed a favourite entry couldn't look less like a
raytrace.

P.S. Looking forward to ruins already!

Post a reply to this message