POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Only 48 hours, and: how long should the description be? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Only 48 hours, and: how long should the description be? (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: St
Subject: Re: Only 48 hours, and: how long should the description be?
Date: 29 Aug 2007 06:07:08
Message: <46d5454c$1@news.povray.org>
"Markus Altendorff" <maa### [at] panoramasde> wrote in message
> St. schrieb:

>>       Good idea Markus! Something like this?
>> http://smartwebby.com/DHTML/textbox_characters_counter.asp#explanation
>
> *shriek* No! Actually, the opposite - people can enter as much as they
> want, but the display in "viewing mode" starts with only the first one or
> two paragraphs or 200/300 characters, whatever happens first, and the
> remaining text is initially hidden, but "unfolds" when clicked upon. Like:
>
> "Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah...
> August 16th: Rendered the first part, and built the .... [more >]"
>
> Clicking "more" turns it into:
>
> "Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah...
> August 16th: Rendered the first part, and built the scenery
> for the second half of the video. Working time: about 6-8 hours today. [<
> less]"
>
> i.e. Just initally hiding long texts, not discarding them entirely :)
>
> like those (the tiny +/- below the headers would be the "more/less", and
> i'd start with at least part of the text visible instead of entirely
> hiding it)
> http://www.splintered.co.uk/experiments/archives/blog_last_visited/

   Ah, I see. Ok, that's a good idea. I think we can get that implemented
somehow. Thanks again for your input Markus! :)

       ~Steve~

> -M

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 29 Aug 2007 07:15:01
Message: <web.46d554c3ed318b20c4e49fa40@news.povray.org>
Markus Altendorff <maa### [at] panoramasde> wrote:

> Ah. Well, the server setup is to crop it down to 140x140 anyway, which
> is what bothers me - i'm used to putting the title etc. in it, like with
> the IRTC... it'll be unreadable and no use if it gets pressed into 140x140.

But do you really need a title in the thumbnail? If it is short it will
appear above the thumbnail. Mine was truncated, oh dear.

> Yes, metal can do that... that's why i've got a "losing the shiny
> armour" scene at about the middle my clip :)

LOL

> - metal + reflection of
> "media" material in it (if i'm using the povray term right? that
> half-transparent plasma stuff...?) isn't good for the render rate.

the metal.

> Textures going "boink" isn't, either, though for different reasons ...
> the last location i used is a walk back to daylight through an
> underground passage that had the occasional decorative doorway left and
> right, but the texture there was "hopping" between frames - i guess i've
> either messed up the texture space orientation when i declared the
> material or it wasn't properly fixed to the object. The render is
> running for the third time now, because i've kicked those objects from
> the scene to just get it over with... should be done about the time i
> get home from work today.

I generally do test animations of any materials I am going to use. Just to
see if there is any flicker. If that is what you mean? Recently I tried
changing turbulence to warp turbulence to se if it would help. But it made
things worse. I think this problem is one of the worst in making
animations.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message