POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Re: IRTC statictics site Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:11:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC statictics site (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: JC (Exether)
Subject: Re: IRTC statictics site
Date: 27 Feb 2004 03:22:59
Message: <403efe63$1@news.povray.org>
Here we go, it's ready :
http://exether.free.fr/irtc/

Don't hesitate to advertise it around, if someone could send a mail on
the IRTC mailing list, that'd be great.
Feedback and ideas welcome,

JC

JC (Exether) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As a java training, I started to write a program that takes the data
> files from the IRTC (results.txt files) parses them and generates pages
> with various ranking. As I think this could be of interest for the
> competion, I'd like to see with the admin team if we can work something
> out of it for an 'official' thing or if I might just run it as a
> separate site.
>
> So if you could send me a mail at exe### [at] demoxandmailcom I'd give you
> the prototype address.
>
> JC
> PS: I had to post here because it seems that the mail page on the IRTC
> site isn't working.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Date: 28 Feb 2004 15:09:32
Message: <4040f57c$1@news.povray.org>
"JC (Exether)" <no### [at] spamfr> wrote in message news:403efe63$1@news.povray.org...
> Here we go, it's ready :
> http://exether.free.fr/irtc/

Awesome!

BTW, I have another suggestion, would it be possible to add a page which lists
every entry ever in order of overall score?

I think that would be very interesting to compare the scores acheived by images
entered in different rounds, since I've often been curious as to whether an
image that came 3rd in one round might have scored higher than one that came 1st
in another round...

Anyway, I've already added a link to my website! Nice work JC!

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

Post a reply to this message

> BTW, I have another suggestion, would it be possible to add a page which lists
> every entry ever in order of overall score?
I am thinking about doing a best of, with maybe the 20 or 30 best images
based on scores and probably other parameters. I don't think it is
possible to rank all entries because there must be a few thousands( I
need to do a misc stats page for that by the way).

> I think that would be very interesting to compare the scores acheived by images
> entered in different rounds, since I've often been curious as to whether an
> image that came 3rd in one round might have scored higher than one that came 1st
> in another round...
That's also interesting, I have always thought that scoring would not be
consistant between rounds, I will probably try something like that, just
to see.

> Anyway, I've already added a link to my website! Nice work JC!
Cool, thanks

JC

--
http://exether.free.fr/irtc (more IRTC stats !)

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 29 Feb 2004 02:50:56
Message: <404199DD.6285DBCE@hotmail.com>
JC (Exether) wrote:

> Here we go, it's ready :
> http://exether.free.fr/irtc/

I note that the rankings sum all of the scores over the course of the
time frame.  Consequently, my 24 animation entries put me at the top of
the list for all four categories, even though I've only placed about
half of the time, and have never gotten the HM for Concept.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 29 Feb 2004 04:26:11
Message: <4041b033@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> JC (Exether) wrote:
>
>>Here we go, it's ready :
>>http://exether.free.fr/irtc/
>

> I note that the rankings sum all of the scores over the course of the
> time frame.  Consequently, my 24 animation entries put me at the top of
> the list for all four categories, even though I've only placed about
> half of the time,
>
> Regards,
> John

Yes, I had to think quite a lot about this, because obvisouly you can
imagine some one sending lots of entries and becoming first even with
average scores. But the fact is that this is not so easy to do, in
addition of doing a lot of entries this entrant would have to be quite
good too to get correct scores.

The fact that you submited a lot of entries and that they were of good
quality makes you first, this points you as the major contributor of the
competition, I don't see why and how I would penalize you. The
championship from start might look a bit strange, and newcomers might
have troubles getting in but it is what it is : from start.

In the stills competition there is examples of people having sent a huge
amount images and because they got only average score they're not first.

 >  and have never gotten the HM for Concept.
You have (Slow Motion), and you ranked once first (Adventure) and four
times second. You have to see that awards don't add any points, only
ranks do.

Don't be too humble you deserve you rank I think,
If you think that it is unfair, I'm listening suggestion.

JC

From: John VanSickle
Date: 29 Feb 2004 18:21:29
Message: <404273F3.1D02211A@hotmail.com>
JC (Exether) wrote:

>  >  and have never gotten the HM for Concept.
> You have (Slow Motion),

Now I see how your rankings work; they're sort of different from the
main site.  No problem.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 1 Mar 2004 02:09:37
Message: <4042e1b1$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> JC (Exether) wrote:
>
>> >  and have never gotten the HM for Concept.
>>You have (Slow Motion),
>

> Now I see how your rankings work; they're sort of different from the
> main site.  No problem.
It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
pointing that out.

JC

From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 1 Mar 2004 15:27:17
Message: <40439ca5$1@news.povray.org>

> It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
> pointing that out.

By the way I won a Technical merit medal in "Worlds within Worlds" round
(2/2002 Stills) not Tom Melly, who won the Artistic Merit medal (in your
site the artistic merit appears as won by Marjorie Graterol).
See you

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Mar 2004 22:31:26
Message: <4044000e$1@news.povray.org>
A think an overview of the statistics is a great idea, and an
interesting challenge.  But it is not very clear to me what your site is
telling me.  The tracking of individuals, images, and of topics all
seems to be vying for attention.  Maybe some sort of graphs or charts
showing the profile of the data would help with understanding the
meaning of the display.  Or maybe just more detailed description of what
you intend to show.  Again I think it's a great idea but needs to be
taken a further.  The display of data in a meaningful way is not a
trivial task.  I have a pretty good understanding of the contest and who
the players are and I have a great deal of difficulty understanding what
is shown there.  I would definitely hesitate to refer the page to
someone unfamiliar with the contest.  Again, great idea, great
potential, needs further refinement imho.  The actual scores themselves,
as a comparative thing seem the least interesting to me.  I am more
interested in the people.  Who are the main players, win percentage, who
were the early leaders, who are the later ones.  What you are touching
on is the history of the contest itself.  I think you need to address
how the numbers show that history.

On a further note:

We have a distinct trend in fewer and fewer entrants it seems.  Yet
these newsgroups seem to be as lively as ever.  I can't keep up with all
the threads.  I wonder, can you analyte the data and see if there is any
trend in the number or percentage of new participants versus returning?
Say if you pick some threshold, for an individual's degree of
participation, does it peak and then wane?  Have regulars moved on?  Is
this a constant process or was there a bulge?  Does the data reveal
anything more about this trend?

-Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 1 Mar 2004 23:19:49
Message: <40440b65@news.povray.org>
Txemi Jendrix wrote:

>>It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
>>pointing that out.
>

> By the way I won a Technical merit medal in "Worlds within Worlds" round
> (2/2002 Stills) not Tom Melly, who won the Artistic Merit medal (in your
> site the artistic merit appears as won by Marjorie Graterol).
> See you
>
> Txemi Jendrix
> http://www.txemijendrix.com

Thanks for pointing that out, the error is due to the fact I was wrong
in the award assignation order, it seems to be Concept award first them
Artistic and then Technical. It looks a bit weird, and I hope they used
the same order in every round, otherwise I'll have similar problems.
I correct it next update.

JC

--
http://exether.free.fr/irtc (more IRTC stats !)