POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : wellcome.mpg Server Time
16 May 2024 02:43:37 EDT (-0400)
  wellcome.mpg (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: wellcome.mpg
Date: 17 Jul 2000 08:19:55
Message: <3972F8C1.1D601FB7@my-dejanews.com>
I cannot play wellcome.mpg . My viewer says it falls outside the
standard.  Good thing I'm not a judge this round..........

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: wellcome.mpg
Date: 17 Jul 2000 08:51:40
Message: <3973002D.2533D36F@my-dejanews.com>
Actually, I couldn't see ndclk or h20fall either with the built-in
microsoft video viewer.

I think the IRTC/povray.org community needs to do something about a
standard for viewing and composing MPG's.

Consider two scenarios, one where a fraction of the community lacks
bleeding edge viewers, another where a fraction lacks bleeding edge mpeg
compilers.  The bleeding-edgers ought to ease back to a more common
standard.

1) Microsoft, as they have done elsewhere, added "functionality" to the
base MPG player which really means it's impossible to see it unless it's
done with some kind of MS-owned video composer.  Consider an analogy to
web browsers--it would be kind of like inserting HTML and vcards into
every page--some users will have no problem, but our unix-based friends
would be left out in the cold.   If this scenario were true, then the
povray.org community OUGHT TO RECOMMEND A STANDARD VIEWING SOFTWARE,
hopefully freeware, to enable our MS-based  friends to participate as
full members of the community.

2) MS's video player is fine, kind of like a bare-bones unix-based web
browser.  However, there are some substandard mpeg compilers out there
that fall outside the known standard, or a common freeware package
commonly fails to meet the standard unless software swich xyz is
pulled.   Perhaps something exists like a standard MPG-1.0a, which 90%
of users can see, whereas a standard of MPG-1 could be seen by 100% of
the people.   If this scenario were true, then the povray.org community
OUGHT TO RECOMMEND A STANDARD COMPILING SOFTWARE OR PRECIDE CODEC OR
MPEG STANDARD.

Just don't say "I saw those videos just fine."

It is like saying "I saw the newsgroup postings fine" to someone whose
web browser just shut down from HTML & Vcards in a newsgroup.

"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> I cannot play wellcome.mpg . My viewer says it falls outside the
> standard.  Good thing I'm not a judge this round..........

Post a reply to this message

Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> schreef in berichtnieuws
3973002D.2533D36F@my-dejanews.com...
> Actually, I couldn't see ndclk or h20fall either with the built-in
> microsoft video viewer.
>
> I think the IRTC/povray.org community needs to do something about a
> standard for viewing and composing MPG's.
<snip>

Post a reply to this message