POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : wellcome.mpg : Re: wellcome.mpg Server Time
31 May 2024 19:49:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wellcome.mpg
From: John VanSickle
Date: 17 Jul 2000 17:59:58
Message: <397381FA.886DDBC1@erols.com>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Actually, I couldn't see ndclk or h20fall either with the built-in
> microsoft video viewer.

I had this problem for the Games round a while back.  It turns out
that old versions of MS's media viewers were not 100% MPEG-1 compliant.
I upgraded and the problems went away.

It appears that your viewer was written with the assumption that every
file fed to it would be sized in multiples of 16 pixels in each
direction (ie, full macroblocks).  The MPEG-1 standard does not require
this, and therefore any viewer that does is not 100% MPEG-compliant.

A viewer should be able to handle anything that a 100%-compliant
encoder throws at it.

> I think the IRTC/povray.org community needs to do something about a
> standard for viewing and composing MPG's.

They did.  They suggested 320x240.

The files passed the integrity check used by the entry bot.  If the
checker is passing bad files, it should be fixed.  If the bot is not
passing bad files, then the fault is in the viewers, and they should
be replaced.

> Just don't say "I saw those videos just fine."
>
> It is like saying "I saw the newsgroup postings fine" to someone whose
> web browser just shut down from HTML & Vcards in a newsgroup.

HTML in a newsgroup message is annoying, but any news reader that craps
out because of it is buggy and needs fixin'.

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459