POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Crazy cloth HA HA HA MPG1 : Re: Crazy cloth HA HA HA MPG1 Server Time
19 Jul 2024 23:32:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crazy cloth HA HA HA MPG1
From: Peter Popov
Date: 20 Jan 2002 04:55:51
Message: <im4l4ugpvb45knh0ruj5b3p8s191lsk3gv@4ax.com>

<fcu### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>Before, my algorithm didn't consider the conservation of the cloth's
>velocity (in each vertex of the mesh), and I thought it should

Err... it is energy that has to be conserved, and momentum, not
velocity. Of course velocity will be conserved if there are no
external forces, but then the animation will be rather dull, won't it
:)

If I were you, I'd use some sort of feedback to keep the energy and
momentum of the system from growing beyond what is expected from the
influence of external forces. You will thus eliminate most of the
discrete integration errors, which are especially painful in the
forward Euler, which I believe you use (everyone does on their first
try at cloths :) )

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg