POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Industrial Complex : Re: Industrial Complex Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Industrial Complex
From: Mike Williams
Date: 23 May 2006 07:54:29
Message: <iJlUMHAafvcEFwfB@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Kenneth who wrote:
>"Mike Williams" <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>> My greeble generator seems to have started to look like factories rather
>> than the side od a spaceship.
>
>Nice work, Mike!  The repetition of elements doesn't detract from it.

The repetition is absolutely deliberate. If you look at the greebles on
Star Wars vessels, or at the roofs of tall buildings in the satellite
views of Google Maps, or at printed circuit boards, you'll see that
there's a mixture of randomness and repetition.

Without repetition, the scene runs just as fast, but the structure just
doesn't look planned. It looks as if the stuff has just been thrown
together randomly, like a junkpile. The repetition gives at least some
suggestion that the structures have purpose. When one gun turret or heat
exchanger isn't sufficient for that purpose, then the designer sometimes
chooses to place a row of three identical units, rather than invent a
new larger device with three times the capacity.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure