POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : more function issues : Re: more function issues Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more function issues
From: Mike Williams
Date: 8 Sep 2001 02:35:18
Message: <iJWTfEAEvbm7EwwK@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dennis Milller who wrote:

>Thanks. Does the addition of "x,y,z" in the new syntax change any aspect of
>the function and is it even required? I'm trying to duplicate an exact MP
>scene that used the line below (with no x,y,z). I assume that "x,y,z" was
>"understood" in the older syntax...

With the MegaPOV syntax you had to #declare your imported functions if
you wanted to use them in expressions, and then you would apply the
"x,y,z" when you used it, like

        #declare FUNC1=function {"sphere",<4>}
        isosurface {function {FUNC1(x,y,z) + noise3d(...

[If you were using the function without any modification at all you
could say
        isosurface {function { "Sphere" <0.4>}
in which case the x,y,z was "understood"]

With the new syntax you are never forced to #declare the function. You
can use it directly in expressions if you would prefer, like

        #include "functions.inc"
        isosurface {function {f_sphere(x,y,z,4) + f_noise3d(...

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure