POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb) : Re: Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb) Server Time
18 Jul 2024 18:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some problems solved [I/O Particle System] (MPG1, 414kb)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Feb 2004 04:26:03
Message: <i0f3h1-rc5.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:

> What my system does is subtract 25% of the energy that is parallel to the
> surface normal the particle has hit last. You're right about the amount of
> particles, too many make it hard to discern one certain particle, but that's
> mostly part of the idea of basic particle system, right? :-) That aside: how
> about letting the particles start in that spherical area I mentioned in the
> source? You could easily generate one with a random-stream which is based
> off the frame-number, just place a particle with
> <rand(R),rand(R),rand(R)>*.2-.1 for a 0.1-radius-sphere and add <-2,3,0> for
> the center (you should know that, but I thought I'd just make it explicitly
> clear what I'm talking about).

I do so, just the area is somewhat smaller than you describe - things
get very random otherwise.

> Not sure what 200seconds refers to now. Parsing total? Parsing plus
> rendering, and if so, with which resolution? How many frames total? And what
> kind of PC do you have? And how does the system work? From frame to frame,
> or independant of frames in given intervals?

200s simulation time for the whole animation (450 frames), megapov 1.1
has separate time statistics for the simulation.  That's about 1/10 of
the render time (Athlon XP 2600+ with other tasks running).

Here is another version using function based and method 1 (force based)
environment.  Simulation time is about 10 times of the previous ones.

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/files/particle3.mpg

Complete description of the techniques can be found on:

http://megapov.inetart.net/manual/global_settings.html#mechsim

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______