POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : copies, referrences, and texture space pie : Re: copies, referrences, and texture space pie Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: copies, referrences, and texture space pie
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 11 Jul 2000 05:59:58
Message: <hqrlms0al6m74cehe9neiiab6ul56g1rit@4ax.com>
Hi ryan constantine, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> i think i know what to do.  tell me if this is correct:
> the xwing top object is called XWINGFIGHTER.  it has two subobjects,
> Fuselage and Wings, both of which have the same general texture set to
> parent texture space.  if i give the XWINGFIGHTER layer a completely
> transparent texture and translate from model to model, that essentially
> changes the 'parent' location right?
Ufff, I don't think I follow.

> also a question about local/parent etc: if a 3rd level object's texture
> space is parent and the parent is also set to parent, does the third
> level object's texture space move up to the top level object?
No. It really uses the parents system. You can only make it move all
the way up with the World space.

> if all of the above won't work, i'll just have to copy and paste entire
> xwings, right?  no refferenceing to get different textures for
> subobjects, right?
Yes, afraid so.

If the objects whose textures you want to change aren't too deep in
the hierarchy, you could copy them as references and build the
hierarchy above them by hand. Or copy the whole fighter, delete the
part that should be differently textured and attach a reference to
that part from the original in its place.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray