POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Peter Popov
Date: 6 Dec 2001 15:19:16
Message: <gk3v0ug7kb228rb4be7r055kkecqroc9gp@4ax.com>
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:29:52 GMT, ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo 'kENpEX'
Pesce) wrote:

>Flame war... it seems too much for a simple, polite, discussion about
>some topics of povray development...

We're generally gentle and polite :)

>Well if someone here thinks that
>this is a flame war I'll go away, that wasn't my objective, and if I
>have to flame to say my opinion about povray features, and to say that
>imho there is something that is still lacking, well I really don't
>want to...

That's the spirit!

Take it easy... it's just that all these suggestions have been
discussed over and over again and the Team have had to justify their
modus operandi a thousand times and so on. Hey, we even had a "Beat
LightWave" frenzy at some point! And of course, POV won :)

Now seriously, everything you suggested, save displacement mapping and
assembler coding (ok, I may have missed something), is possible. There
is one problem: it either should be made perfect or not made at all.
That's the POV spirit. Of course this means a lot, an awful lot of
really hard work and research, and the related heaps of free time and
resources... which is something Team members are known to lack
(plainly because they spend whatever time they have left from making a
living on working on POV).

Now, it is a completely different matter if you come up with a working
idea. Working in the see-what-my-patch-can-do-and-it-seems-stable-for-
all-that-a-year-of-beta-testing-among-fifty-beta-testers-means sense.
And even then you will have no guarantee. But at least it will give
you a much better start.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg