POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Re: Announce: IsoCSG include file 0.2.1 : Re: Announce: IsoCSG include file 0.2.1 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: IsoCSG include file 0.2.1
Date: 15 Mar 2002 08:01:13
Message: <ger39ucvme0mk53clgkv44p8fmu4ttbelj@4ax.com>
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:43:40 +0100, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
wrote:
> Wow, those selects can really confuse...

Yes. Perhaps You, Tor or someother fan of functions will find simpler version
but it was simples I found. But all rounded versions are only slightly slower
than yours sharp shapes.

> I think both these and the 'B' versions should be in separate include
> files since they are purely optional.

Yes, currently I have 3 file on my machine
iso_csg - your
iso_rcsg - rounded version
iso_bcsg - bounding layer

iso_bcsg doesn't contain #include of #iso_csg or #iso_bcsg so it works with
both (depending what was included by user)

> I have not tried yet, but i suppose using f_rounded_box() is faster than
> your version

I suppose. Internall codec works much faster than VM code as f_r() shows. But
I only affraid about characteristic outside of surface with threshold 0 - does
it saves linear distance ?

> while the cylinder/cone macros are better than a manual
> translation of the rounding macros from 'shapes.inc' with radius 0

You can look into p.b.i at sample image.

> I will also add a 'compensated' version of scale to maintain the linear
> distance as good as possible (correcting with the average of the scales
> with non isotropic scaling).

Great.

ABX