POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP2: Slowly coming along + Question of bounding : Re: WIP2: Slowly coming along + Question of bounding Server Time
17 Aug 2024 20:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP2: Slowly coming along + Question of bounding
From: Mike Williams
Date: 30 Aug 2001 00:22:46
Message: <gJ5TvDAssbj7Ew5f@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Kevin Ellis who wrote:
>Well here is an updtaed version of the image I posted on 12/08/01. I have
>played with the water a bit - still not overly happy. And the tree and grass
>are supplied by Gilles Trans Macros.
>
>I have ommitted the clouds as something strange happens when the tree is in
>the scene and I wondered if anyone could answer why?
>
>1. When I have the clouds and no tree in the scene it renders as normal.
>
>2. If I have the tree and no clouds it renders as it should, flying through
>until it hits the tree, but then still making a good pace.
>
>3. If I have both then the render goes at 0pps from the start - it is this
>that gives me the problems and I can't understand why.

Could you possibly have just filled the physical memory of your machine?
Things suddenly go a lot slower when it starts shuffling chunks of
scenery in and out of virtual memory. Try watching the drive light on
your hard disc, or try rendering a really tiny image of your scene and
look at the peak memory usage statistic that gets reported.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure