POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ANNOUNCE: Acceleration of Plane primitive : Re: ANNOUNCE: Acceleration of Plane primitive Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: Acceleration of Plane primitive
From: Peter Popov
Date: 13 Apr 2000 17:48:19
Message: <fifcfs8diqum0iapiudcvp7j762sm9mup5@4ax.com>
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:28:15 +0200, "Dejan D. M. Milosavljevic"
<dmi### [at] xoommailcom> wrote:

>Entire source and test scenes at  -- Plane patch --  page  via
>http://members.xoom.com/dmilos/prg/pov/mypovpage.htm

<snip>

>Any comment?!

Yes. I am not a programmer, but I must tell you I really respect your
work with these patches. Correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that the
real art of it seems to be in finding the right spot to correct and
then leaving everyone else slapping their foreheads asking themselves
how they haven't thought of that first :)

This plane patch is a really nifty one (now that Ron has explained
what you've done). Can a similar approach be taken for triangles? IIRC
the intersection point of the test ray and the plane of the triangle
is tested for insidedness using a lemma of one of Jordan's theorems.
This requires several steps of manipulating 3D vectors. Maybe if one
of the coordinates is stripped down (the triangle and intersection
point are projected on a coordinate plane), these calculations would
only require 2D vectors. Of course the right projecting plane should
be chosen.

What do you think? Is it worth the trouble?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet