POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : language design (was Re: hash marks) : Re: language design (was Re: hash marks) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: language design (was Re: hash marks)
Date: 15 Mar 2002 12:19:47
Message: <ff949ucumci7n7q6e9sjip5j0jv7j0ls82@4ax.com>
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:39:04 +0300, "Vadim Sytnikov" <syt### [at] rucom> wrote:
> You have to have well-defined scope rules to just cope with the complexity.
> To make your scenes editable by someone else -- that is, to share code
> (models etc.) Have you been using someone else's POV-Ray model recently?
> Were you able to edit it?

Well, You can look at povray.general, povray.text.scene-files and
povray.binaries.scene-files into splitted thread about IsoCSG include file. It
started yesterday and I have posted at least 4 extensions into that (including
whole rebuild with different parameters handling) and discuted it even more.
But IIRC there wasn't such splitted syntax. But I always look into sigs of
POV-ers. They _always_ use confusable (is there such word?) syntax. Usually it
takes me some short time to understand - but those sigs were written to
confuse so nothing strange. Anyway if there (in sigs) is something to improve
in confusing or length I usually send it. It's known fact, you can dig on
news.

> > Did you use php ? You can open HTML tag inside php
> > condition statement and close it outside.
>
> Have you been editing someone else's php code recently? Were that easy?

I haven't used php recently so I can't answer. I'm also not even half
experienced in php as in pov (supposing I have some experience in POV) so I'm
probably not a good target for this question. But I use other server-side
language (WebSpeed platform) and work in team with success. We builded and
maintain broker service with it. It use html splitting as in posted example.

> I'm not talking about what is possible (has precedents etc.) and what isn't.
> I'm talking about what's better (== easier, more reliable).

Allocating memory for additional objects, floats, strings, transformations
isn't better in this case imo.

ABX