POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : objects order : Re: objects order Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: objects order
Date: 25 Jun 2002 02:38:14
Message: <fd3ghu0udb4rit3d9d6a8buvbb2afegsao@4ax.com>
On 24 Jun 2002 16:38:19 -0400, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:3d1781b9@news.povray.org:
> >   I don't understand what's the point in doing this when you can just
> > move one of the coincident surfaces a tiny bit in the desired direction.
>
> becuase :
> 1. this is imho quite primitve work around, using something like y*1.0001

Which way it is primitive ? It is exactly the same effort in typing as writing
for both objects. Writing IDs in complex scenes could slow down parsing
becouse of additional case in object modifiers list, increse memory
consumption becouse of additional field, slow down rendering becouse of
additional test. Adding small tranlation use already defined transformation
matrix. All objects internally already have matrix initialized. Moreover it is
nearly like reality. You can't have two electons in the same place at the same
time ;-)

> 2. in complex scenes, like group of i.e. 10000 spheres - this is hard to
> tell with spheres wil produce such problems, and it's hard to adjust "a
> little bit" such elements, if we have 1000 spheres like
> <0.12312,0.3424,0.1234> - how much should we adjust them to be shure not to
> have this problem ?

There must be problem with random generator if you have 10% with the same
location and size :-)

ABX