POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray directly from C program : Re: Povray directly from C program Server Time
30 Apr 2024 13:51:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray directly from C program
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Apr 2007 04:35:03
Message: <f0f6fg$esa$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:
> Gerolf Ziegenhain <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Is it possible to use povray as some kind of library? Such that it could
>> directly be used from within a C program (whithout writing a text file with
>> the scene ;). I want to use it for visualizing atomistic simulations.
>
>   You can't link POV-Ray into your program directly, as the usage license
> expressly prohibits that.

Actually that's not precisely true, you cannot *distribute* a POV-Ray
version modified this way, nothing prevents you from doing this just for
yourself (except that it will be a lot of work(*) and you would not gain
anything from it).

(*) remember that the input file need to be searchable, therefore you
would have to create an internal buffer for it and modify the file
access functions to use this buffer instead.

Christoph

--
Views of the Earth: http://earth.imagico.de/
Images, include files, tutorials: http://www.imagico.de/