POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) : Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Feb 2000 19:48:27
Message: <elOfON+7XaP2yN5=Ux51qWrwPoaQ@4ax.com>
On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 12:42:08 -0500, Chris Huff
<chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>This is my first success with my visibility pattern. It is supposed to
>be copper or a copper alloy with a patina on it, worn away in exposed
>areas. The syntax is simple, this is the code that produced this image:

In your code I don't see any limit on the direction the sample rays
are shot. I think it would be useful if one could specify a maximum
angle that the sample rays can form with the plane tangent to the
evaluated point. The minimum should of course be 0 because for all
angles below that the sample rays will hit the surface infinitesimally
close to the evaluated point. And the maximum angle is needed to save
the overhead of taking samples straight up when the greatest slope on
the surface is 1/1000. I hope I explained this well, I will illustrate
it with an image if you want.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700