POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Re: My 1st Image - In Progress (66kb) : Re: My 1st Image - In Progress (66kb) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My 1st Image - In Progress (66kb)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 13 Oct 2000 03:20:12
Message: <ekddus8ctel0ctaaaf1li9sluv9i2m15f0@4ax.com>
Hi Cris Williams, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I will be placing the words "Wright Brothers District" around the outside.  If I
> end up having to do this individually leter-by-letter, then something like an
> orbit function would come in handy!  Is this available in Moray, or is it only
> available in Povray?
Moray cannot place different objects in an orbit automatically. There
are two things that come to mind:

- Create a TrueType object, set the text to 'W' and place it where you
want the 'W' to be. Also rotate it into place. Then used the Orbit
function in the Duplicate dialog to make 23 copies (the length of your
string minus the already placed W). Select each object and enter the
correct letter.

- Create a TrueType object, set the text to 'W'. Switch to local
coordinates and move the coordinates down so that they are placed at
the pivot point of where you want the letters to be centered about.
Then use the Rotate function in the Duplicate dialog to create 23
copies. The again select each one and set the letter accordingly.

The first method will space the letters evenly on a circle, but you
will have to experiment with the degrees to use.

The second method can be hand-tuned, since you can place the letters
by rotating them individually.

Hope that helps,

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom