POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Too many objects? : Re: Too many objects? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:57:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too many objects?
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 14 Feb 2002 18:25:15
Message: <ehho6ucv25tf8k6cgjbdin6msh2s94tms5@4ax.com>
Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Could I overcome this problem by making the snake as a series of several
> separate IK chains of, say, 30 levels each, connected end to end, but each
> chain separate in its IK function?
Hmmm. Well, you can't connect it end to end without nesting is, so no,
I don't think that would work.

> If I used hamaPatch to create rings of scales that were
> only one object each, rather than 15, would that speed up rendering?
That would definitely help redraw speed and IK solving speed a lot,
yes. I'm pretty sure it won't do too much for POV-Rays rendering
speed, though..... I might be wrong, though, since it may be able to
bound one object more efficiently, or it won't have to calculate as
many intersections....

> Sometimes in a scene with a large number of small objects, in openGL there
> is a forest of red, green, and blue axes that make it impossible to see the
> objects.
This is being addressed. It's actually a "feature" or byproduct of
using OpenGL. Moray does not draw a subobjects local axis, whereas the
OpenGL view does (which I preferred). But it can lead to problems with
objects such as yours, where there are too many objects. It will be
changed so that this will not be a problem.

Wait until the beta and then let me know whether you like it, or
not....

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray