POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eavesdropping WIP - radiosity issues : Re: Eavesdropping WIP - radiosity issues Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:41:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eavesdropping WIP - radiosity issues
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Sep 2006 15:15:04
Message: <eec9lp$llh$1@chho.imagico.de>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I need your expert comments :-)
>
> This is the first serious render of the scene with radiosity. It is a 2-pass
> job (first gathering radiosity data on an image half the size of this one;
> took about 5+ hours; second pass was just about 45 minutes). There are still
> ugly artifacts visible, especially on the columns. What is the best way to
> go from here? I include the radiosity settings used so far. Normal and media
> are off; Megapov settings were used

I don't understand your use of the MegaPOV adaptive error_bound - if you
use it in the first pass you will loose control over the accuracy of the
radiosity data taken and stored.  Furthermore using tighter settings in
the final pass will increase the number of samples taken there (and
using always_sample off at the same time could lead to low quality).

I would try to decrease recursion_limit to 2 and use the saved time to
improve quality if that does not change the appearance too much.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 20 Aug. 2006)