POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tilemap patch for Megapov 1.2 : Re: Tilemap patch for Megapov 1.2 Server Time
27 Apr 2024 20:51:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tilemap patch for Megapov 1.2
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Sep 2006 01:15:03
Message: <ee2raq$ius$1@chho.imagico.de>
Chris Jeppesen wrote:

> I would like to see this patch incorporated into the next version of
> Megapov. Who do I have to bribe in order to get that to happen? Aside
> from this one, I have about 6 other patches I would like to get into
> Megapov.

This is strongly influenced by the following points:

- is there interest in using the patch?
- does the syntax/usage make sense, is the solution well suited for the
problem it is intended for?
- is the patch well written?
- is the patch sufficiently documented?
- has the patch already been tested?

Concerning your specific addition i have a few questions:

1) why is it restricted to image maps?
2) does it handle interpolation across the tile boundaries? (only makes
sense with (1) of course, difficult with different resolution tiles)
3) why is it restricted to a regular rectangular pattern?

What would be really interesting is a dynamically cached image map (i.e.
one that actually loads tiles on demand).  You would have to be careful
when using the internal image reading functions for this though - they
are not really intended to be used at render time.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 20 Aug. 2006)