POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sphere memory : Re: sphere memory Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere memory
From: ABX
Date: 30 Aug 2002 06:03:04
Message: <e4gumugqfqrkc7efjhrjcdb0v1k9clcql1@4ax.com>
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:46:17 +0200, "Niki Estner" <nik### [at] freenetde>
wrote:
> For a sphere, I understand this, but for an ellipsoid? The ray has to be
> multiplied with a matrix anyway, the center/radius scale/translate matrix
> could be combined with the matrix that's already there (that made an
> ellipsoid out of the sphere). Wouldn't that save a vector-subtraction (no
> big time saving, but not slower at least)

That's the problem of design. It would be necessary to add ellipsoid object to
SDL to add this optimization and leave speed of 'normal' sphere. Try this with
own patch.

http://www.acronymfinder.com

> > Buy RAM ? :-)
> Guess I'll gonna do that...
> But admit it: when you read my problem first, you also thought: 500,000
> spheres - no problem with 256MB.

That's becouse recent time when I watched my 8000x8000 render it was started
with 2GB of RAM ;-)

ABX