POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Licensing in a 3D app : Re: Licensing in a 3D app Server Time
17 May 2024 07:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing in a 3D app
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Apr 2006 11:35:03
Message: <e1ofdb$ja$1@chho.imagico.de>
JPulham wrote:
> I want to use PovRay as a free 3D plugin renderer as a download from my site
> when I release the app. What kind of things do I have to do legaly to
> compile a DLL of POV-RAY? If I re-write the code to take pre-loaded memory
> textures instead of loading from file (for compatability) and put it in a
> DLL can I still lable it as POV-RAY as long as the copyright notices are
> kept? Basically... what changes can I make before its not POV-RAY?

I have the impression you are confusing things here.  The use of the
name POV-Ray for naming unofficial version of POV-Ray is not restricted
(as long as the unofficial version is conforming with the license of
course).

Furthermore the POV-Ray license is completely all right with
modifications of POV-Ray that allow it to load data (like texture
images) by other means than file IO as long as the basic functionality
of official POV-Ray is maintained.

You however should carefully notice a few things:

1) whatever modifications you make to POV-Ray for creating an unofficial
version will be covered by the POV-Ray license (i.e. have to be
available for free including source etc.)

2) you may under no circumstances distribute modified versions of
POV-Ray that are not fully functional (like a built of POV-Ray in form
of a shared library) or include POV-Ray code in other programs.

3) if you bundle an official or unofficial version of POV-Ray with a
non-free program you have to obtain permission from the POV-Team before
(see POV-Ray license).

Note this is not an official legal advise, just my attempt to explain
the license.

And finally this is the wrong group for this kind of question.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 14 Mar. 2006)