POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : optical effects : Re: optical effects Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: optical effects
From: Peter Popov
Date: 14 Aug 2000 12:09:50
Message: <e03fpsgala13v04219gbg2ttdvga7qglr6@4ax.com>
On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:36:05 -0700, Stan <swr### [at] earthlinknet>
wrote:

>I just wanted to know the best way to make a laser. I was told to use
>area lights, but it doesn't occur to me how that could work.

That's because area_lights are not the solution <grin>

The best way to do it is to use the true cylinder lights available in
MegaPOV. Or parallel_lights with projected_through, in MegaPOV again.

>I need the light intensity and the width of the beam to remain almost
>constant and for it to be seen from the side.

What I am proposing will keep them 100% constant. To make it diverge a
bit you'll have to use distant a spotlight (or pointlight) with
projected_through. And if you want it to be visible, make sure there's
something to reflect it, i.e. dust (read: scattering media).

You can also fake it with a transparent hollow cylinder filled with
emitting media.

>Also, can I make a halfway mirror that reflects on one side but is
>transparent from the other side?

I am just guessing here but I think the interior_texture feature in
MegaPOV can do this.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet