POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Test Povray and Yafray. : Re: Test Povray and Yafray. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test Povray and Yafray.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Jan 2006 11:45:04
Message: <dp90qn$pn1$1@chho.imagico.de>
Tim Nikias wrote:
>>Well - as you can see they are not.  The difficult part of such a
>>comparison is to find which settings for both renderers are most
>>similar.  This requires knowledge of both of them.
>

> In this case for example, it would have been good to know that POV-Ray
> doesn't clip the RGB-values before averaging them for antialiasing. It has
> been a discussed annoyance to some, and AFAIK there is some work done in
> that area for the next release (I think Warp hinted at it, but don't go bug
> him because I said so!). I think 3.5 did it differently/like Yafray and
> could be used for a comparison of antialiasing.

I don't think there is any significant difference in these test images
due to antialiasing.  The main sources for the difference in results are
probably different textures, different light intensities or different
gamma correction (or all of them).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)