POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mipmapping and trilinear interpolation : Re: mipmapping and trilinear interpolation Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mipmapping and trilinear interpolation
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Dec 2005 05:43:38
Message: <dmp8j8$ki0$1@chho.imagico.de>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:

>>It is fair to say the concept of mip-mapping is essentially incompatible
>>with raytracing although with a lot of work it could be possible to
>>bridge this incompatibility of course.
>

> I disagree.

I don't care.  If you think you know better - fine, go ahead an
implement it.  But to be frank your disagreement does not seem to be
based on understanding and differing from my assessment but on not
liking the conclusion.

To phrase it again in a way that does not require a technical background
to understand:  Implementing a very basic support for the concept of
mip-mapping in a raytracer that can be used in practical applications
would be so much work and would introduce so much bloat to the source
code in form of special case handling and making additional data
available that is not needed or even generated in normal raytracing that
i seriously doubt it will be implemented in POV-Ray.

I also think a well designed implementation of this would be a great
thing to have (not mainly for smooth texturing but because elements of
it could be useful for other purposes as well).  But i am simply
realistic about the chances of this happening.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)