POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Australia. : Re: Australia. Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Australia.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Nov 2005 16:04:19
Message: <dlau41$ull$1@chho.imagico.de>
Tim Cook wrote:
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
>
>> No.  you can already use that large images right now - your OS
>> swapping and address space permitting.  You don't do this though
>> because the performance loss makes it unfeasible. This isn't different
>> with 'on-demand' reading of image data from disk (except parsing might
>> be a bit faster in the latter case).
>

> No, I literally don't have any software that can read such a large
> image.  ^^;  Paint Shop Pro, GIMP, Photoshop, and so forth, can't read
> images larger than a certain size

Actually GIMP should be able to deal with large images without problems
with its tile cache:

http://www.gimp.org/unix/howtos/tile_cache.html

(at least if it is built with large file support which is default with
current versions i think).

And there are various other programs able to process large image files
- one was mentioned in p.g. in reply to you:

Subject: Re: Callling all Earth renderers - Blue Marble "next generation"
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 04:41:30 EDT
From: PM 2Ring <nomail@nomail>
Newsgroups: povray.general

And as noted in

http://www.imagico.de/pov/earth_bm.html

GDAL is also predestinated for this - after adding an appropriate ppm
header to the raw data:

P6
86400 43200
255

Finally the 500m images are also available in 21600x21600 tiles.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)