POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : STOPPING a render does not "release" computer : Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:14:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STOPPING a render does not "release" computer
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Oct 2005 11:10:02
Message: <dhu5rq$7re$1@chho.imagico.de>
Kenneth wrote:

> Thanks, Christoph, that works!!  Instead of 10 minutes, it now takes less
> than 10 seconds.  Not bad!!  And without crashing the computer.  : )

Just to make this clear - this was not intended as a suggestion for
normal operation.  It was just meant to illustrate that the long time
required to stop a render is not inevitable in general but only when you
don't want to terminate the process at the same time.  There is no point
in using the a GUI version of POV-Ray if you stop the render by killing
the program.

> Stopping a render like this does raise a question in my mind, though: If
> POV-Ray normally takes time to "clean out" (or "make available again"?) the
> many small fragments of hard drive memory it has used, am I creating
> "other" problems by terminating POV this way?

In any modern OS when a process is terminated - no matter which way -
the allocated memory gets freed automatically (more precise: the address
space of the process simply ceases to exist).

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)