POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.beta.9 available.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Sep 2005 05:00:01
Message: <dge1ct$508$1@chho.imagico.de>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> I must be thinking of MegaPOV about some sort of contrast adjustments on the
> scene renders. Seemed like someone here mentioned replacing assumed_gamma
> with a way to do that instead, but I don't find anything said of it.

Since the MegaPOV tone mapping has been brought up in this context i
like to point out a few things.

The tone mapping patch primarily allows to apply color adjustments prior
to antialiasing (although it allows to specify them for post-aa as well)
which can be useful for high quality results with more-than-subtle
nonlinear adjustments.  This has been discussed in depth and no need to
bring this up again.  The patch can be used to do exactly what
assumed_gamma does (both before and after aa at your decision) and there
is a macro in tone_mapping.inc (Gamma_Correct()) that does exactly this.

The display_gamma/assumed_gamma distinction does only make sense if
assumed_gamma can be set in the scene file (and in this case there is no
real point to restrict it to a gamma factor).  Without this two distinct
gamma factors are confusing and should be replaced by a single one (for
which both display_gamma and assumed_gamma would be misleading names).

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)