POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : uv_mapping : Re: uv_mapping Server Time
17 Aug 2024 00:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv_mapping
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 6 Dec 2001 16:25:15
Message: <deov0uksmorls7s9otlaadpd95k1h8nocg@4ax.com>
Hi Peter Hertel, you recently wrote in povray.binaries.images:

> I just downloaded beta 8, and wanted to try out some scenes I did in beta 1.
> One of the things I tried out then was uv_mapping, but it behaves completely
> different now.. On the image you can see what I mean.
Yes, the uv mapping for boxes was changed to use environment cube
mapping the way that most 3D packages use it. Doing it this way allows
you to map different parts onto each face, whereas the previous
version placed the same image on all six faces. Now it projects the
image like this (ASCII monospaced art alert!):

 1   . . . +-----+ . . . . . .
V    .  X  ^  4  |     X     .
     .     z     |           .
 .6  +-----+--x>-#--z>-+-<x--+
     |     ^     |     |     |
     |  1  y  5  |  2  |  6  |
     |     |     |     |     |
 .3  +-----O--x>-+-----+-----+
     .     |     |           .
     .  X  |  3  |     X     .

     0    .25    .5   .75    1

The places marked X are ignored.

The effect is that this will allow a seperate part of an
imagemap on each face instead of placing the entire imagemap on each
face.

Regards,

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom