POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Can povray on linux ever create a BMP? : Re: Can povray on linux ever create a BMP? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:01:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can povray on linux ever create a BMP?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Aug 2005 11:30:02
Message: <ddd6g5$8n4$1@chho.imagico.de>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>> From what I hear, the next version of POV-Ray is supposed to support BMP
>> output.
>

>     You must be kidding here, I believe.

Well - the BMP reading/writing code ABX (IIRC) wrote for WinPOV is
portable so it is not a big problem to use it for a non-system specific
file format.  The question is of course if this has any advantage (to
compensate the obvious disadvantages).

In any case I can only repeat: It is a very bad idea (tm) to use BMP as
a file format with POV-Ray - no matter if for render results or for
image maps.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)