POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : "You people work like this?" revisited. : Re: "You people work like this?" revisited. Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:06:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "You people work like this?" revisited.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Jul 2005 09:55:01
Message: <dcil2d$92u$1@chho.imagico.de>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I saw on a forum for a command-line MPG generation tool where some kid was
> giving the syntax he uses, and it must have been four lines of text!   No
> way that bloke is typing it out each time. I'm betting he has his most
> popularly-used syntax stored in some text editor.

He most likely has written a simple shell script for this.  Also don't
forget you have a command history.

> I've tried some of the GUI editors for povray like Pyvon and QTPOV.  They
> have their strengths. I have however figured out a way to get most of the
> old Windows GUI look and feel to my povray experience on my own:
>
> 1) Edit scene files in Kedit, with a separate window open for each scene
> file you're currently thinking about.

Note using KWrite/Kate instead of KEdit will give you syntax
highlighting.  In Kate you can avoid the separate windows and have tabs
for each file like in WinPOV.

> There are actually strengths to *this* setup over perhaps even the windows
> GUI.

Quite a lot, for example:

- you can use different POV-Ray versions (official/MegaPOV) in parallel
without having two separate editors open.
- you can run several renders at the same time without having multiple
separate editors open.
- you can completely transparently work and render on different machines

> Perhaps I was too clueless to imagine this setup right off the bat.
> I'm actually guessing that not too many of you are actually going *pure*
> command line day in day out, perhaps even using "vi".

I think using ini files for the render settings like you describe is
quite rare.  Storing the commonly used options in a scene file comment
and putting them to the command line using cut&paste is what i do quite
often.

> But I'm wondering if
> someone were to have suggested this setup to me when I started griping about
> the lack of GUI   that I would have been satisfied much earlier.

Interesting point.  Note people quite regularly mention that they use a
standard editor and the command line for operating POV-Ray.  But in fact
this is something that is obvious to most regular Unix users so it is
seldom pointed out explicitly. ;-)

But indeed for newcomers (not to POV-Ray but to the platform) the
possibilities probably could be better described.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)