POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tenth planet rendition called Morpheus [~52KB JPG] : Re: tenth planet rendition called Morpheus [~52KB JPG] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tenth planet rendition called Morpheus [~52KB JPG]
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Jul 2005 04:20:02
Message: <dci1bv$55u$1@chho.imagico.de>
Bob Hughes wrote:
> I decided to give this new planet a try. Calling it Morpheus because I
> haven't seen the official name yet, and besides, this name makes sense to me
> because it is a Greek god of dreams or sleep. It's supposed to be about the
> size of the Moon, or a little less, but I don't know anything more than that

> What do you think about either my render here or the discovery? I read about
> it while browsing through space-related web sites, first, then saw it
> mentioned on TV news today. Here's one place that tells about it:
>
> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/29jul_planetx.htm

I like your planet better than the one in the NASA illustration
(although both are complete phantasy as far as surface structure is
concerned).  But i think the sun - when visible in view - would appear
brighter, the overall light level will be low so long exposure time
would be necessary.

Concerning the discovery itself - it is quite likely that more similar
sized objects exists out there but discovering them at that distance
isn't easy (esp. considering the many much nearer bodies that will have
similar apparent brightness).

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 24 Jul. 2005)