POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Can povray on linux ever create a BMP? : Re: Can povray on linux ever create a BMP? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:37:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can povray on linux ever create a BMP?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Jun 2005 03:00:01
Message: <d9o80j$464$1@chho.imagico.de>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I may fall in love with the avidemux encoder if only I could get it to open
> an image.  It wants BMP's or JPG's.

Both formats are an extremely bad choice for a POV-Ray render.  And you
will hardly find any program un Unix systems that only supports BMP but
no standard image format.  It is however no problem at all to convert
the images using Imagemagick convert (you can even pipe the output like
explained in the docs).

> But in looking at the docs for Win 3.5,  it looks like you can only do
> "system specific", which I'm learning is apparently BMP in Win but TGA in
> *nix ???

There is not platform specific file format on Unix, the default is PNG
(which is a good choice for output format in general).

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______