POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Merry christmas [70k] : Re: Merry christmas [70k] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merry christmas [70k]
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Dec 2003 11:42:03
Message: <d8d3c1-h7e.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   Very nice image, Christoph. Excellent for a quick christmas card,
> indeed. No snow around here to check realism, sorry... :)

Thanks.

The snow is indeed the weak point - i played with the idea of a
subsurface scattering version but this scene is not fast enough and the
geometry is not that good to show the scattering anyway.

>> The sky is made with the skylight macro from Jaime's lightsys:
>

>   To be honest, this version of skylight.inc is the work of Philippe
> Debar, adapted by Ive to work with Lightsys: I even don't remember if I
> myself done any little teaking...
>
>   I don't know if the results are very accurate, but it gives slighty
> nicer results than the original version.

The problem i have with the skylight macro is that it does not offer
much control over the colors.  I used a different light color for the
sky than for the light source to have more freedom in that part.

Another thing is of course that the use of a mesh for the sky is
certainly not the best solution - although it is of course the only
viable one with standard POV. A feature to have image_maps based on an
internal array (or an ascii hdr file format) would be useful for this.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______