POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : [announce] KIO-POV 0.1 : Re: [announce] KIO-POV 0.1 Server Time
17 May 2024 04:06:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [announce] KIO-POV 0.1
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 May 2005 11:00:02
Message: <d6ac95$qk3$1@chho.imagico.de>
Florian Brucker wrote:
> Hi Christoph!
>
> I tried kiopov yesterday. Installation went smooth once I pointed the
> configure script to the right KDE version (using 3.3 here). Here are my
> first impressions:

Thanks for testing!

> - Is there a way to show the info mode when clicking on a file? It works
> when I use a "pov:/" URL in the konqueror bar, but I'd like it to open
> automagically if I click on a file, or say, via an entry in the context
> menu. I couldn't find kiopov in the list of installed extensions, should
> it be there?

I already wondered the same but i think no other KIO slave does this so
i assume there is no way to do this (but it might be worth asking in the
KDE mailing lists).  Note a KIO slave is not a program opening a file
that can be embedded in konqueror (that would be a kpart) but a module
that - given an URL (which does not necessarily refer to a real file)
returns certain data (which is processed/displayed by a different program).

Adding a new context menu entry that opens the info page (or renders the
scene) in a *new* konqueror windows/tab should be easy (via kfmclient)
but not sure if it is also possible to reuse the current one for this.

> - The README file is empty over here and the INSTALL file seems to be a
> standard one from configure or make. It would have been nice to read
> some kiopov specific stuff :)

try help:/kiopov/

> - The thing which definitely not works with my setup here is: I got
> Mozilla set up as default browser. Everytime I click on a link in a
> kiopov info page (which is shown in Konqueror), the link target is saved
> in a cache and Mozilla is called. But Mozilla just complains about XML
> errors in the cached page. Is there a way to follow the links in
> Konqueror? This might not be a kiopov problem, it's the same with the
> whole KDE help etc. over here :(

You probably just need to configure your file associations differently -
but this will lead to clicking on a HTML file in konqueror opening the
file in konqueror as well (which might not be what you want if you have
previously configured mozilla to be used for that).

> - This tool would be even more useful if it'd display the rendered image
> on the info page (when there's a rendered image). Perhaps shrink big
> images to fit.

The problem about this is that there are two possibilities:

- shrink the image only in display which will result in long loading
times and high memory use for large images.
- always generate an additional 'thumbnail' after rendering for this
(which will result slower operation of the render mode).

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______